An airbrush tan, also called a spray tan or sunless tan is the process in which a DHA-based solution is carefully airbrushed on to the entire skin using HVLP tanning equipment or an automated system.
When the solution used in the airbrush tan is sprayed onto the skin, you get a natural-looking tan that can easily last for between seven and 10 days. The solutions used in sunless tanning contain DHA (dihydroxyacetone). This FDA-approved ingredient reacts with all the natural amino acids that exist in your skin’s uppermost layer, giving it a fantastic bronzed look.
With most spray tan solutions, the deepest tan color is achieved within approximately 8 hours- the color continues to darken post the initial application. Most tanning solutions also have a bronzer that has an immediate tan effect. But is an airbrush tan really worth it?
Benefits of Airbrush Tans
Perfect for filling in wrinkles around the lip area and on the forehead
- its non-toxic which means its safe for your skin
- No irritating side effects found (an excellent alternative to Retinol for individuals with sensitive skin)
- Triggers collagen formation in the skin matrix
- Improves skin elasticity and tone
Pre Tan Care
While spray tanning is one of the simplest, safest, and quickest ways to get a bronzed look, there are specific pre-tan care steps you need to follow for the best results. Following these will not only ensure that the airbrush tan application is even throughout your skin, but the spray tan will have better lasting effects too. Here are some pre-tan care instructions that your salon will recommend:
- It is essential that you shower, exfoliate, and shave your skin thoroughly before you go in for the spray tanning appointment.
- Make sure your skin is free from moisturizers.
- It should be clean.
- Do not use any deodorants or makeup before the tanning session. All skincare and cosmetic products block the pores, preventing the tanning solutions from reaching the skin and interacting with it.
Just as you need to follow these pre sun tan care tips, there are some steps and care instructions you’d need to follow after the airbrush tanning session as well. When you contact the tanning salon, the experts there will provide you with detailed information regarding the process, what’s involved in it, and the pre and post-tan care you need to maintain for the best results. The right care will help to ensure that your airbrush tan spreads evenly and stays on the skin for longer.