Yes you must be careful when you tan, yes you must protect your skin, but don’t hide from the SUN, your life may depend on it!
Everyday we are more aware of the Spectacular Role of Vitamin D in Human Health and how Vitamin D deficiency is linked to diabetes, asthma, cardiovascular diseases and even certain kinds of cancers. As we speak, research is being conducted to bring solid proof to the table on one of the most important topics of the century: cancer prevention. Can Vitamin D prevent and help cure human cancer cells? It has worked on animal trials and scientist and doctors hold their breathe as more and more studies are being conducted on hospitalized patients and healthy individuals.
Can recovery times for surgeries be reduced by Vitamin D?
Can Vitamin D keep us healthier and stronger against cancer?
Can Vitamin D help us grow older better?
What does Vitamin D really do?
We have many questions and way too many different opinions come in as answers. So we continue to write about it, we continue to bring in the information we find for you.
First of all, why is this such a trendy topic?
- Vitamin D3 deficiency is the most common vitamin deficiency in the United States and Canada, more and more it proves to be a worldwide condition.
- Numbers could reach as high as 50% of the North Americans that have low levels of vitamin D in the blood. Similar numbers are being found in different cities around the world, especially in Europe and Asia.
- Those severely deficient in vitamin D double their changes of dying from various diseases such as cancer, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, asthma and autoimmune diseases.
- 13% of all causes of death in the USA could be linked to the complications of Vitamin D Deficiency.
- According to the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES): 10% of US children are at risk of inadequate vitamin D levels and 4.6% at risk for deficient levels
- Even if the percentages vary it is clear that a huge part of population is affected by this nutritional deficiency, from newborns to the elderly
- The optimal blood levels and recommended dietary amounts are still to be defined for little consensus has been found.
Can Vitamin D Help Prevent Heart Disease, Diabetes and even Cancer?
Epidemiologist Cedric Garland, DrPH, professor of family and preventive medicine at the UC San Diego School of Medicine led one of the latest studies on vitamin D for cancer prevention and he stated that the link between Vitamin D and cancer continues to be confirmed in more than 200 epidemiological studies. He said:
“The first event in cancer is loss of communication among cells due to, among other things, low vitamin D and calcium levels. In this new model, we propose that this loss may play a key role in cancer by disrupting the communication between cells that is essential to healthy cell turnover, allowing more aggressive cancer cells to take over.”
For the last 10 years researchers have said Vitamin D can reduce the chances of developing heart disease or diabetes by 43 percent, where high vitamin D levels are associated with the decreased risk of developing cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, and metabolic syndrome. Most of all Vitamin D could help prevent at least 16 different types of cancer including pancreatic, lung, ovarian, prostate, and skin cancers.
Healthy exposures to sunlight or artificial UVB as well as of oral intake of vitamin D3 and calcium are what still has to be proved that they could potentially help in the prevention of almost 60,000 new cases of breast cancer and up to 50,000 new cases of colorectal cancer that are found each year in North America. Can 75% of all cancer deaths be prevented by helping the population reach adequate vitamin D levels? And what are adequate levels? As we mentioned before, researchers are hard at work conducting studies and racing against the clock, with the hope of discovering the miracle that so many cancer patients and their families are waiting for.
Sometimes the place where we live, and the time of the year, like the long winter we’re just coming out of in Colorado, make it very difficult, sometimes impossible for people to get enough sun exposure, or direct sun rays to produce Vitamin D from the UVB directly hitting the skin. This is where Veranda Sun comes in, our safe sun beds can help you get controlled UVB exposure that imitates the direct sun rays and helps your body produce the needed Vitamin D for optimal levels.
Visit our Tanning Superstore in Boulder, Colorado, our tanning professionals at Veranda Sun know how to help you control the right amount of exposure your skin needs. Contact us to learn more about other great ways to help your body feel great and stay beautiful. Have questions? Lets talk, call us: (303) 447-8844.
Every month with have the best deals in tanning. We also have more sun beds than any other salon in the area, 19 total beds that provide the best possible bronzing results for you, no matter your skin type. We are a safe tanning salon, our lamps are always new, our staff is always friendly, professional and well informed, and our number one priority is giving you the best possible tanning experience from the moment you walk through the door.