Squat your way into a lower body that you can’t wait to get into a bikini!
I know, I know… it’s Winter! But I also know many of us made New Year’s Resolutions that included improving our health and looks. For some of us, our resolutions are all about improving the size of our butt and thighs! So if you, like me, would like a great booty to show around in a bikini (whether on your tropical escape from the cold or in preparation for next Summer’s bikini body), then squatting will be our best friend! As SELF Magazine posted: “The squat is the best exercise for a sexy lower body because it targets the gluts and quads better than many other moves,” says Dianne Sykes Scope, an exercise physiologist in East Rockaway, New York. We’ll take a look at some basic versions of the squat and some interesting variations as well. And you have no excuses, you can do any of these at home, with no extra equipment, even when it’s very cold outside…
What is a Squat?
Good form is the key! When you squat pretend you’re sitting on a chair:
- push butt back
- keep thighs parallel to the floor
- keep knees over your toes
- feet should always be shoulder-width apart and slightly turned out
- your weight must stay on your heels for better balance and to stay grounded (tip: wiggle your toes to make sure weight is on heels)
- hands can go behind head, without pulling down, or up in the air straight over your head
- lift chest and draw shoulders back and down (hand position helps with this)
- tighten your abs to engage your stomach and to keep good posture
- it is important that you keep a neutral spine without arching your back
Let’s get started on the road to a great looking butt and tight thighs
Stand in starting position. Feet at shoulder shoulder-width turned out very slightly. Bend knees a little, stand with hands behind head, and go back and down slowly; imagine you’re sitting on your invisible chair (touching the edge of a real chair with your butt can help your posture at the start if you’re a beginner). Once you reach your sitting position (as in the picture on the left), go back up slowly. If you can’t reach chair position, start by going down as low as you can without losing good posture. With practice your legs will get stronger and balanced. Now that you have reviewed the correct form for a standard squat, lets see some of the great variations of squats by SELF Magazine
- 1) Stand with feet wider than shoulder-width apart, toes out, hands on hips. Squat until thighs are parallel to floor, then lift both heels (as shown). Lower heels for 1 rep. Repeat.
- 2) With feet shoulder-width apart, squat all the way down, fingertips on floor slightly in front of feet. Keeping fingertips on floor, lift hips, extending butt toward ceiling with knees slightly bent (as shown). Return to start for 1 rep. Repeat.
- 3) Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, hands on hips. Squat, then stand and forcefully bring right leg across and in front of body, leading with heel, as if kicking a ball, left arm swinging in front, right arm behind (as shown). Return to start. Switch sides to complete 1 rep. Repeat.
- 4) Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, hands behind head. Squat, then stand, lifting left knee across body (as shown) toward right elbow at center. Return to start. Switch sides to complete 1 rep. Repeat.
- 5) Stand with feet hip-width apart. Squat deeply, extending arms behind torso. Stand, then raise left leg and lower chest until parallel to floor, extending arms forward (as shown). Hold for 1 count, then return to start. Switch sides to complete 1 rep. Repeat. This move also works your shoulders and abs!
- 6) Squat with back to wall, feet together, thighs parallel to floor, hands on hips. Maintain back and butt contact with wall as you lift left knee toward chest (as shown). Return to start. Switch leg to complete 1 rep. Repeat.
Veranda Sun, sharing the gift of healthy living
We know it can be more difficult to stay in shape, feeling good and healthy during the winter in Colorado, it’s even harder when most of us don’t get enough natural light to have ideal Vitamin D levels and serotonin production for healthy living. That’s why we invite you to visit our Tanning Superstore in Boulder, Colorado, to help you learn how the artificial UV created by sun beds has the same positive effect as UVB from natural sunshine. Our tanning professionals at Veranda Sun know how to help you control the right amount of tanning your skin needs, not just to look amazing, but also to feel great! Learn more about How Tanning Works and Tips and Safety for Tanning in Boulder, CO. At Veranda Sun Tanning Salon in Boulder, we also continue to bring you useful information on health and beauty. Find more interesting topics every week by visiting our Blog. You can follow us on Facebook, so you’ll be sure not to miss any of our tanning specials, membership prices, and great health and beauty tips.
Veranda Sun helps you discover new ways to stay healthy and beautiful!
At Veranda Sun in Boulder, we care about your health! Contact us to learn more about other great ways to help your body feel great and stay beautiful. Have questions? Ask us. Or visit us and lets talk!