Tanning Under the Sun
Natural tanning is the process of cells in your skin protecting you from harmful UVA and UVB rays that come from the sun
- Prolonged or uncontrolled exposure to UVA and UVB rays can greatly increase the likelihood of cancerous cells growing in your skin.
- A tan works as a shield from radiation. Imagine thousands of tiny umbrellas in your skin; they open more the more they are exposed to the sun, which in turn makes your skin look darker.
Going into the sun without using sunscreen greatly increases your risk for cancer.
- Sunblock is a product that uses titanium dioxide and zinc oxide to completely block out UV rays from the sun. This means you will get no tan while wearing it.
- Sunscreen is a product that allows some UV rays to penetrate to the skins surface, which gives you the ability to get a slight tan.
- Sun Protection Factor (SPF) refers to the amount of UV radiation that can saturate your sun protection to reach your skin. For example SPF 30 means that 1/30th of the sun’s UV rays are in contact with your skin.
- Use an SPF no lower than SPF15
- Use two to three tablespoons of sunscreen or sunblock on your entire body, concentrating on the areas most in contact with the sun (shoulders, nose and face, arms, back).
- Sunscreen and sunblock must be reapplied every two hours, or after entering water.
- Try to tan in small increments to minimize damage; one hour a day in the sun is usually a safe amount of time.
What Type of Sunblocker is Best?
Maintain your Tan
Apply lotion regularly to reduce the number of dead skin cells you shed, and increase the longevity of your tan. Drink enough water and visit your tanning salon during the winter months to make sure you’re getting enough Vitamin D for your body.
How Does a Tanning Bed Work?
Visit Veranda Sun in Boulder, CO.
The cold weather is here, the direction of the UV rays from natural sunlight make it difficult for you to get all the Vitamin D you need from just being in the sun. So visit Veranda Sun Tanning Salon in Boulder Colorado and see about our special deals and offers on tanning packages at affordable prices.