A little sun can do a lot of good. It makes you feel renewed, can help you sleep better, and even boosts Vitamin D production. The not-so-great news is that, as you might already know, a lot of exposure to the sun can lead to sunspots, wrinkles, premature aging, and skin cancer. Don’t be discouraged. There are ways to start protecting your skin now even if you haven’t been doing so in the past.
Bye-bye Sun Damage
That tan you’ve been waiting all year long to get is the result of your body trying to protect itself from the sun. When you’re overexposed, the dermis (lower layer of the skin) gets weak, causing wrinkles, sunspots, and skin cancer.
We’re about to give you a few tips to sun-proof your skin and prevent damages.
Protection is essential
Sunscreen is essential. Period. You need it to protect your skin from the sun. Ideally, it should be part of your skin care routine. Make sure you wear it every day, especially when you are outdoors.
- The higher the SPF, the better. SPF 30 or higher is advised.
- Apply it frequently – at least every two hours, or more frequently if you’re swimming or sweating too much.
- Broad-spectrum sunscreen is the best pick. UVB light causes sunburns and UVA light causes wrinkles and sign of aging. You want to block those out!
- Use sunscreen with your makeup. Apply sun protection along with the other products you use on your skin as part of your beauty routine.
- Allow some time for it to work. Let it sit for 20 minutes before going outside. This way, the sunscreen can be absorbed properly into your skin and protect you better.
- Plenty is the right amount. If you feel messy after putting it on, you did a great job.
Gear up for special protection
Even though sunscreen helps protect your skin, there are other things you can do to take that protection to the next level.
Wear sunglasses to prevent the skin around your eyes from wrinkling. Shades also help prevent things like cataracts in the elderly.
Wear a hat, long sleeves, and buy clothes with tight-knit weaves to better protect the skin in different areas of your body like the ears and behind the neck. You can also try spray tanning and stay out of the sun. You’ll get the benefits of beautiful bronzed skin without the damaging effects of the sun.