What Causes Vitamin D Deficiency?
Yesterday we were talking about how Vitamin D deficient people are up to 3 times more likely to die from any cause compared to those with normal levels, and they are mostly vulnerable to heart and bone problems. But what causes a person to have Vitamin D deficiency? How Do You Know if You Are Getting Enough Vitamin D?
Vitamin D deficiency can occur for a number of reasons:
- Limited exposure to the sun, when skin is exposed to sunshine you naturally produce vitamin D, if you are homebound, live in northern latitudes, wear completely covered clothes or have an indoors lifestyle that prevents sun exposure, you are at risk of being Vitamin D deficient
- The pigment melanin in dark skin reduces the ability to make vitamin D in response to sunlight exposure. mostly older adults with darker skin are at high risk of vitamin D deficiency.
- A strict vegetarian diet, because most natural sources of vitamin D are animal-based, including fish and fish oils, egg yolks, cheese, fortified milk, and beef liver, if you leave all these out of your diet you are not consuming the recommended levels of the vitamin, you may be Vitamin D deficient.
- Kidney problems may keep your body from converting vitamin D to its active form. The natural aging process makes kidneys less productive, increasing the risk of vitamin D deficiency.
- Inadequate absorption of vitamin D in the digestive tract due to a medical condition including Crohn’s disease, cystic fibrosis, and celiac disease, can affect your intestine’s ability to absorb vitamin D from the food you eat.
- Obesity causes vitamin D to be extracted from the blood by fat cells, altering its release into circulation. People with a body mass index greater than 30 tend to have have low blood levels of vitamin D.
What problems can Vitamin D deficiency cause?
- Increased risk of death from cardiovascular disease including hypertension, coronary artery disease, cardiomyopathy and diabetes Type1 and type 2 as well as glucose intolerance
- Improper bone development and growth due to a lack of calcium and phosphorus metabolization
- Older adults may suffer from cognitive impairment
- Children could suffer severe asthma
- Different forms of cancer
- Multiple sclerosis
Lets review the importance of Vitamin D for a healthy life
As we saw yesterday, Vitamin D Can Reduce Your Risk Of Dying By 50% and vitamin D deficient people are more likely to have diabetes, high blood pressure, and diseased heart muscle — and three times more likely to die from any cause compared to those with normal levels. The greatest news is that Sunlight is Free and is the Most Natural Source of Vitamin D. There is also no possibility for an overdose when the source of vitamin D is the sun because our body can self-regulate it’s production and only makes what it needs. When sunshine is not available, like the cold winter months of Colorado, a safe tanning bed is the BEST way to optimize your vitamin D levels.
The amount you need is still not clear to researchers, some say 8,000 IU’s other say 10,000 of vitamin D per day, which means from 10 – 20 minutes in direct sunlight are needed daily to elevate levels to minimum necessary for disease prevention.
Our Safe Tanning Beds in Boulder are Your Best Choice for Optimizing Vitamin D
Get your Vitamin D from Safe, Controlled, Artificial Light In Boulder, Colorado at Veranda Sun and stay healthy and during the winter in Colorado, it’s harder for most of us to get enough natural light to have ideal Vitamin D levels and serotonin production for healthy living and UV Light Helps!
Visit our Tanning Superstore in Boulder, Colorado, the artificial UV created by sun beds has the same positive effect as sunshine. Our tanning professionals at Veranda Sun know how to help you control the right amount of tanning your skin needs. Learn more about How Tanning Works and Tips and Safety for Tanning in Boulder, CO.
At Veranda Sun Tanning Salon in Boulder, we continue to bring you useful information on health and beauty. Find more interesting topics every week by visiting our Blog, we’ll continue to post on Healing and Preventive Qualities of the Sun. You can follow us on Facebook, so you’ll be sure not to miss any of our tanning specials, membership prices, Veranda Sun helps you discover new ways to stay healthy and beautiful!
At Veranda Sun in Boulder, we care about your health. Contact us to learn more about other great ways to help your body feel great and stay beautiful. Have questions? Ask us. Or visit us and lets talk! Come in and Get Your Vitamin D Even When It’s Cold!