I don’t want to be sick? Do you? And yet it seems when Flu season hits, everyone gets it. So here are suggestions we encourage you to share with friends and family, to help keep your immune system functioning as optimal as possible to avoid influenza or other flu-like illness, and if you do acquire an infection at least that you give your system the best chance to fight off disease without complications and recover your good health as soon as possible.
Optimal Vitamin D Levels
We believe the overall best strategy to avoid any kind of infection and even many serious conditions us maintaining an optimal level of Vitamin D. We can’t stress this enough, and most people, even more in the winter, have severe D deficiency. How Do You Know if You Are Getting Enough Vitamin D? A simple blood test will tell you what your vitamin D levels are. 15 Minutes in Direct Sunlight Get You 10,000 units of Vitamin D, according to Dr. Oz. And when sunlight is not available, safe sun beds like the ones we offer you at Veranda Sun Tanning Salon in Boulder, CO. are an option to get UVB rays. As a last resort you can take an oral vitamin D3 supplement. According to the latest review by Carole Baggerly from GrassrootsHealth.org, adults may need as much as 8,000 IUs a day.
Important Nutrients Needed in Your Diet to Strengthen Your Immune System
A diet rich in fruits, vegetables and quality proteins is a foundation for a healthy immune system. Studies have shown that sugar decreases the function of your immune system almost immediately, making it depressed for several hours, creating a window of time during which it is easier to get the flu. Avoiding excessive sugar can keep the immune system working at the level needed to fight viral infections, like the flu. “Avoiding sugars, processed foods and most grains, and replacing them with healthy fats and taking regular amounts of fermented foods, which can radically improve the function of your immune system” says Dr. Mercola.
- Vitamin C– that enhances your immune system’s ability to fight infections of many kinds and reduces the duration and severity of infections already contracted.
- Vitamin A– also vital for a healthy immune system. Associated with T cell function, A vitamin strengthen your first line of defense against infections by maintaining healthy mucus membranes.
- Zinc- when Zinc levels decrease, the function of your white blood cells weakens as T cell function also decreases, lowering your ability to fight infections.
- Omega-3 – is a healthy and essential source of animal fat found in krill oil, add Omega-3 to your diet and reduce trans fats in processed foods.
- Other Natural Immune Boosters – oil of oregano and garlic are 100% natural and are proven to help you stay healthier.
Reinforcing a Healthy Lifestyle and Good Hygiene
- Quality sleep – 6 hours as a minimum, and ideally 7-9 hours of sleep daily are what adults need to rejuvenate and avoid a fatigued body which is not fit to fight the flu.
- Stress Management – when stress related to all kinds of events, from work to family to trauma, becomes overwhelming your body is handicapped to fight off the flu and other illness. Regular stress management techniques include deep breathing, exercise, yoga and/or meditation.
- Regular Exercise – the increased circulation in your blood flow throughout your body gives your immune system a better chance of locating illness before it spreads.
- Chemical-free Soap – since your hands are the main venue in which virus reach your nose, mouth and others around you, use a simple chemical-free soap which is better than usual antibacterial formulas.
- Use what you know well – washing your hands regularly, covering mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze, avoiding close contact with those who are sick and, if you are sick, avoiding close contact with those who are well, which of course means avoiding hospitals unless it’s an emergency or you need expert medical care.
- Stay Home – if you do get sick, apply all of the above in the comfort of your own home. You need rest, de-stressing, good controlled diet and plenty of sleep. Where else would you get all that? Well, maybe your mom’s place if they have an extra bed!
Antiviral Botanical Medicine
Naturopathic Physicians recommend nutritional supplementation, immune-stimulating and antiviral botanicals that can support the body’s natural defenses:
- Elderberry- Research demonstrates that elderberry extract has particular immune-modulating and antioxidant properties that neutralize the activity of viruses so they can no longer enter the cell and replicate. The berries also contain vitamins A and C, and the flavonoids quercetin, anthocyanin and rutin, all of which boost immune function.
- Larch arbinogalactans– Larch arabinogalactans are polysaccharides derived from the wood of the Western larch tree. These polysaccharides stimulate the immune system to fend off infections. Larch arabinogalactans have been studied and shown effective in adults, as well as children, which makes it a great choice for keeping the whole family healthy through the flu season.
- Echinacea– Echinacea also has the immune stimulating polysaccharides that give it an important role in naturopathic antiviral treatments. These polysaccharides naturally enhance the body’s resistance to infection.
Vitamin D from Artificial Light Available In Boulder, Colorado – All Year Long!
Learn more about the Relevance of Vitamin D for Your Health and how light helps you stay healthy and during the winter in Colorado: Visit our Tanning Superstore in Boulder, Colorado, our staff can we can help you understand how the artificial UVB created by safe sun beds has the same positive effect as sunshine. Our tanning professionals at Veranda Sun know how to help you control the right amount of tanning your skin needs. Read more about How Tanning Works and Tips and Safety for Tanning in Boulder, CO.
At Veranda Sun Tanning Salon in Boulder, we continue to bring you useful information on health and beauty. Find more interesting topics on Vitamin D, health and Sunshine every week by visiting our Blog, we’ll continue to post on or you can follow us on Facebook or Google+ so you’ll be sure not to miss any of our tanning specials, membership prices, Veranda Sun helps you discover new ways to stay healthy and beautiful!
At Veranda Sun in Boulder, we care about your health. Contact us to learn more about other great ways to help your body feel great and stay beautiful. Have questions? Ask us. Or visit us and lets talk!
Veranda Sun, sharing the gift of healthy living all year long!