Spray tanning is quite a standard cosmetic treatment in most parts of the world. While those in tropical countries can get tanned quite effortlessly and naturally, some people crave for the tanned look without having to sit on a beach for hours under the scorching sun. Spray tanning is a boon for people that want a natural-looking tan, conveniently and effortlessly.
What is Spray Tan?
Spray tanning is a process of getting a golden glaze on the skin, artificially. The spray contains dihydroxyacetone (DHA), which is a carbohydrate derived from sugar beets and sugar cane. The chemical reaction which occurs is similar to the one that takes place when potatoes are roasted, and bread is toasted. Amino acids present on the skin’s surface react quickly with the DHA, which results in tanned skin.
How Long Does a Spray Tan Last?
This is undoubtedly one of the most common spray tanning FAQs that clients at VerandaSun Sunshine Studio ask our experts. Although average spray tan products are advertised to last for up to 10 days, this depends on how dark you want the tan to be. So, for example:
- Lighter shade tans may last for up to five days.
- The medium shades usually last seven to eight days.
- Much darker shades can easily last for up to 10 days.
The variability factor is related to the dihydroxyacetone (DHA), which is the active ingredient in tanning solutions. The darker solutions have more DHA, which is why they hold the color longer.
Spray Tanning Tips
Here are some tips to make your spray tan last longer:
- Follow the recommended skincare before as well as after the spray tan. A stunning spray tan starts much before you step into a tanning salon or spa.
- Exfoliate every single day for three days right before you go for the spray tanning session. You can use loofahs, body scrubs, or even a washcloth for exfoliating.
- Do not use any oil or chemical-based exfoliant.
- Do not wax within a day (24-hours) of your spray tan appointment as that can give you an uneven tint.
- Shower a minimum of eight hours before your appointment as it helps your skin regain its pH balance.
- Remove your deodorant and makeup after you arrive at the salon as these products will affect the finish of the tan and create a blotchy look.
- Make sure your skin is entirely dry before you go in for the spray tan.
For best results, make sure you get spray tanning done at a credible place like us at a VerandaSun Sunshine Studio.